View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default part 22 more T.J.

i,ve already covered our disaster year of '76 so i'll move on to '77. while i was trying to harness the monster(455) T.J. went right back to winning. our local track became such a hostile environment we started looking for other places to race. Back then there were still lots of tracks. Tyler and Hallsville, TX; Prescott, ARK; Haynesville, Monroe and Forest HIll, La.; Greenville and Jackson, MS. We went to all of them. Bracket racing saved many local tracks for several years. Got to where only deep pockets could afford a stocker or SS, but anybody with a car and the entry fee money could bracket race. We noticed one thing in common at all the tracks. Anything quicker than a .500 light was red, and if you could cut a good light and run your dial, you could win - TJ did. So we began discussing where to race. She had proved we could win anywhere. So we decided to try and find the least hostile track to race regularly. We'd given up on finding any serious Pont. racers to visit with at the tracks, so we set out to find the least hostile Chevy guys. These were Tyler and Hallsville, TX; Prescott, AR and Haynesville, LA. TJ just reminded me that almost everywhere we went, we had a cheering section among the spectators - It was the "black" section. Back then Black people loved Pontiacs. I remember seein em jumpin and hollerin and clappin when we'd win. I guess that's another reason why some of the arrogant Chevy boys didn't like us.
So if there's any Black Pontiac dudes tuned in, God Bless all you Black Pontiac Brothers! Also see TJ in Nov. '77 Hot Rod Mag. I'll post it when I learn how.