View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 PM

Default 1971 Trans Am Tachometer Wiring???

Let me first say I really appreciate all the info on this board. I have learn a lot from reading all the posts.

I am looking for help in learning about the difference in 2 different tachometers that I have.

I have a '70 Esprit that I am upgrading to use a T/A dash. I bought an 8k Tach and 160 mph speedo for it supposedly out of a '71 Trans Am.

I have a real (22887) 1971 Trans Am that I've had for a few years. I took the instrument cluster out of it for comparison and it has a 2 wire hook-up for the tach... one goes to the IGN on the fuseblock and the other to the negative side of the coil. As best I know, that cluster is original to the car.

The cluster I bought for the Esprit has the same part number for the printed circuit. The problem I have is that the tach I want to put in the Esprit has only 1 wire connection that is supposed to go to the - coil.

Does the tach I want to put in the Esprit get its +12v power from the clock and the tach in my '71 T/A has a separate wire going to the fuse block?

I have attached a picture. The tach on top has the 2 wire connection out of the 1971 and the bottom is the 1 wire tach that I want to put in my '70.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to hook up the tach for the '70. I am hesitant to hook it up for fear of doing damage to it so I thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks,

Marshall
Lexington, KY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tach comparison.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	42573