View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will break my own silence to say that I am surprised at some of Steve's posts.

IIRC there was a pretty big write up on the RAIV-SD program in HPP a couple years before that publication was unsummarily killed off.

If my memory serves me the intent of the outgoing Delorean-era-Pontiac was for the 1970 Firebirds (Formula and Trans Am) to receive the RAIV-SD, which in part explains why one of the lead press cars was a RAIV car. I believe that under new managment this program was held up, and ultimately killed which would explain (as I believe the HPP article state) why the option was redlighted right through to the end of the model year at which point management decided to put the 'regular' GTO RAIV into Firebirds.
I do believe that the RAIV-SD program was killed much like how that same management killed the RAV program.
Although some seem to say that no one ordered a RAIV Formula, I call BS, as I seem to recall reading of many people attempting to order one, only to have their order rejected because of the (then stalled) RAIV-Firebird project.
It sure would have been cool if a couple were really built at the factory.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)