View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 12:13 PM
Boost Engineer

One last question today, Steve25.
Are you aware that all 1973 455 SD engines (along with having Steel Connecting Rads)
had a dry sump capability. You ever see a actual 455 SD engine with a functional dry sump "Production" system?

I worked on the old Herb Adams 64 LeMans road race car (see photo) that had a functional system. All of the PRODUCTION 1973 & 1974 455 SD Engines have the ability to install the special parts on that special engine IF you know what the parts are and where to get them from people like Herb Adams, Tom Nell, Skip (Dudley) McCully, HB Bailey, and other Pontiac Racer type guys. Ken Crocie (HO Racing) had some of those parts.

Herb also did a special Aluminum oil pan for the later Fire Am cars he built.
It had provision for the special scavenge pump in the pan to pump the oil from the small volume aluminum pan into the hidden oil tank behind the dash of the vehicle. A cam driven oil pump attached to the camshaft pumped the oil from the hidden tank thru the engine.
Also why the 455 SD blocks have three oil passages cast into the block at the oil filter location. Racers designed these parts in Pontiac and now you imply that these special parts never exister in Pontiac race vehicles. (FORGOT, PONTIAC WAS NOT ALLOWED TO RACE IN THE 70S. THAT IS WHY TOM NELL, HERB ADAMS, AND OTHERS LOST THEIR JOBS AT PONTIAC.) I personally worked on Herbs car when the new owners first bought it and were rebuilding the engine. Want to post that never happened because in was not in a Sales Brochure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HihrLJONKYY

Tom V

Unruhjonny, Martin Casero killed the 455 SD because his idiot kid, was driving one of Daddy's company cars at college, rang up a lot of tickets, the car was registered to PMD, and PMD was not happy with the negative press about the tickets and PMD stalling on paying the fines. I went to school with "the kid getting the tickets"

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 02-23-2021 at 12:27 PM.