View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I did a bit of research and the version you have does not have externally adjustable floats. There are no sight plugs on that series. You would have to remove the float bowls to adjust on that series car. Adjustment is done by just bending the float arm to make the float parallel to the bowl. It is non-critical and would have to be off by a mile and flowing out the breather tubes to have much of an effect.

It may also have power valve blowout protection if yours is an 80555C. They do mention a 6.5 Power Valve which differs from the current spreadbore spec of 8.5. There should be no issue there and you would literally have raw fuel dripping from the exhaust and a cloud of smoke on startup if the power valve failed. I cannot say for certain which power valve (vacuum range) you have in yours as an 8.5 and a 6.5 were used on different series carbs.

I would say that your choke just stays on a bit too long on cold startup and you are seeing some soot from an over-richened choke or a choke unloader that doesn't pop the choke plate back open far enough on cold start. Both are simple adjustments one would make on any aftermarket universal carburetor.

Here's a link to everything you need to know to have that Holley running as it should. It may already be aside from a rich cold start condition. There are a lot of Qjet fans here but I'm not in that camp.

https://documents.holley.com/199r10012-1rev1.pdf
I really appreciate the help on this. This forum is such a great resource - thanks to people like you willing to lend a hand.

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd