View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
I would still check deck height on whatever aftermarket block even after squaring up. When I swapped mine from a MR1 to an IA my pistons were 0.010 out and had to get a thicker head gasket.

Most aftermarket blocks even Chevy etc there is going to be some work involved. Casting flashing to remove(check cam tunnels) possibly coolant holes to drill. Mike cam bearing holes too.
Just wanted to confirm a similar encounter.

My target CR is 9:1cr. Since I am running a 72cc head, I had to go with a 40cc dish piston and this was to be used with a .041 gasket. This combined with setting my pistons .020 in the hole was supposed to put me in the 9:1cr ball park. I intended to fine tune with block decking as necessary.

A monkey wrench was thrown into it after Luhn Perf talked me into purchasing their 5 layer head gaskets for boost. Now this will drop my CR below 9:1 and I did not want to go below.

Since the block does need to be decked, I thought I could just deck the block and get some CR back. So I tossed the crank, piston and rod into the block to check and see what I had... well lets just say to my surprise, the deck is .010-.011 shorter than expected.

This is not such horrible news to me, it actually works out in my favor... however, If I had not checked and thought I had an advertised 10.25 deck height and had the machine shop take off .015 to put me .005 in the hole... that would have made me peaking out of the top about .05....

The moral of the story... no matter how new your parts are, verify the dimensions... this could have gotten ugly had I not verify before cutting.

SPEED SAFE, NICK