View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too often I end up think, think think do, then think I do'ed it wrong

Got the seat covered to day, looking good. Now I have to start on the seat backs, which I imagined would be easier ... but jeez, they were a B to take apart, numerous hog rings in places that seem impossible to reach.

A couple more tips for DIY. If you are having problems attached the seat gussets to the listing wire in the grooves .... First, replace the paper "wire" on the covers with paper covered wire, then you can use lock wire to thread over the seat wire push it through under the seat on either side of the listing wire in the springs and use lock wire pliers to pull the two together so they will be easier to hog ring.

Osborn Hog Ring pliers ... very nice quality, but they totally suck for reaching into tight places. First of all the ends are blunt, the more you push into a tight spot, the more they push what you are wanting to clamp out of the way. Next they hold the ring way to far back from the tip of the plier so there is no "reach" from the ring.

I struggled terribly with them until I took them to the belt sander and shaped the tips ... shaved off the end so the rings are way closer to the tip, shaved down the blunt ends to smooth curves so they would slide between things instead of pushing things.

Plenty of meat on them you can remove, they gotta be about 50 times stronger than they need to be.

Like using a different tool, hardly ever miss grabbing a listing wire now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post: