View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

My GTO is in a frame off situation right now, with all chassis components freshly blasted and ready for paint. Unfortunately, I've found a great deal of conflicting information lately on what components should be painted what colours (or which components were not painted at the factory). The list below is my latest thinking, so I'm hoping someone can correct any misconceptions:

frame, bumper brackets, cross member, engine and sway bar mounting brackets - 60% gloss black

sway bar - unpainted

end links - cad plated

rear axle - unpainted, except for rear cover and brake backing plates (both 60% black)

all control arms, springs and rear spring clamps - 60% black, except for front upper control arm shafts and attaching hardware (unpainted).

all shocks - grey

steering box, pitman arm, center link, tie rods, adjusters, idler arm - unpainted

drive shaft, u-joints and both yokes - unpainted, except for coloured stripes (don't know which colours I should have for a 4 spd car)

spindles and steering arms - unpainted

I'm also assuming at this point that all attaching hardware and brake/fuel lines were unpainted. I'm also under the assumption that there were several differences between the cars, depending on which
assembly plant was used (for example, I've noticed the frames are significantly different between the Kansas and Pontiac plants). Both my GTOs were from the Pontiac plant, if that helps any.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for specific paints to match the factory appearance, I'm all ears.

Thanks very much for any help,

Ed
GTOAA #950