View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Suspended

My opinion is that everyone wants to haggle to feel they got something out of the deal. I always go a little higher on price and then know I will drop to a certain amount, and then hold firm. But you see this all the time where seller/buyer banter a price back and forth and reach a middle number both can agree on.

Go to a flea market, antique store, swap meet, etc.. Hardly ever do you pay full price unless you are happy with the price. Even then, what guy wouldn't shave a couple bucks so as not to load an item up and take it home with no sale.

Sure, I have had those who would not budge, but I also knew what the item was worth as well and yep, they were rare items. I decide if I really want it, prefer to pass and look around, or snap it up because the price being offered is what everyone else is selling it for and at a swap meet, I don't have to pay shipping or taxes, so that saves me a few bucks.

You can leave your cell number with a seller or swing back at the swap meets end. Most want to sell and not bring it home. Others make a living doing this and will just take it to the next swap meet thinking they can sell it. I go the the Charlotte Auto Fair and see the same vendors selling the same items year after year with no sale, so if they don't mind loading, unloading, storing, etc., good for them. When they die, their heirs will most likely have an estate sale or scrap it all - like the estate sale of a car repair business I just went to. Everything was auctioned off for whatever price it could bring - Muncie/Saginaw 4-speeds, small block engines, a bunch of older and late model cars, tools, carbs, gaskets, complete walls of "stuff", piles of aluminum rims, and everything else under the sun. The guy never wanted to sell anything because "it was worth money" according to a friend who knew the guy all his life and tried to buy a few things off him. Now a lot of it will be coming back as Honda's and Toyota's and the family has a little extra cash in hand and a cleaned up property they can sell.

Haggling...........its an American and worldwide thing.