View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 05:13 PM

Default '69 GTO RA (III) 4-SPD 4.33:1 Midnight Green w. dark Green interior

Hey all ... I'm new here ... so, I am working on developing the VIN of my former (originally sold new in Canada) 1969 Pontiac GTO 400 RAM AIR (III) w. hood tachometer, M21 4-spd. close-ratio trans. & SAF-T-TR-HD 4.33:1 gears in Midnight Green w. dark Green interior that I owned & performed the 1st restoration of (original engine prof. rebuilt, original trans. prof. rebuilt, new Cragar wheels, new BFG T/A radial tires & a colour-match paint job) back in the fall of 1975 ... as a 19 year old ... I have yet to track down any paper records I may have retained at the time I sold the car in late 1976 or early 1977 for $2,800CAD (I'm quite sure I gave the new owner everything I had in the way of receipts & manuals ... I should have the ICBC APV9T transfer paper Seller's copy somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it now ... 46 years later). If I can determine the VIN and what became of the car, I will gladly order VVS' (George Zapora tells me: "we [Canada] did not build GTO's here in 1969, they were imported") & PHS' documentation packages for it ... whether or not the car still survives, and, whether or not I can regain ownership of it again.

Aside from the car's primary attributes, described above, a sure to stand out modification I made was the sacrilegious act of cutting three 2" holes in the dashpad above the heater controls for three black-face Smiths gauges ... I also replaced whatever shifter knob came with the car with a black velvet-covered Hurst-style 'T' handle shifter.

FYI - the Canadian ordering dealer and month it was purchased, etc, may never have been known by me, as I purchased the car used.

So, I am fuzzy on stuff like a rally gauge pkg. in L dash pod (pretty sure none except fuel because I felt the need to add the three 2" Smiths gauges), clock in R dash pod (pretty sure no clock, definitely had a hood tach), center console (I think it had a console but am unsure now), F disc brakes (? ... the LF flex hydr. brake hose blew out on me one time ... you'd think I'd remember disc or drum brakes on the front but simply cannot), and, by extension, power brakes (I think it had power brakes), power steering (I think it had power steering), radio (I'm sure it had a radio but cannot recall if it was AM only, or, AM / FM) ... such is the state of affairs vis-a-vis my memory these days.

So, the big Q. is: has anyone out there run across my old car?

Thanks for reading all that, Kevin Mc