Thread: Shipping cost
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2022, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorg1 View Post
This just happened earlier in the week.

I machined some rollers for a coin press for a local fellow that winters over in the Virgin Islands. He wanted them sent to the VI via the USPS, says he always has issues UPS and Fedex delivering down there. So they get boxed up, labeled and it weighs in at 12 lbs. the box measures 5” x 6” x 10”. This size and weight package would be 12 – 14 bucks or so with UPS or Fedex (I have accounts with both).

So my guy takes the package to the post office and they want $41 to send this package priority (my packaging and label already affixed) then the clerk says that if he puts it in a 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Flat Rate Box it will only be $16.10.

The clerk proceeds to put my box in the Flat Rate Box, seals it up and prints a new label and charges the $16.10.

So I have to wonder how the USPS can put all that additional effort along with the packaging materials into this parcel and then charge less than half of what it would have cost without all of that additional effort.

I’m not getting it.

Dave
Over 2 lbs, best to check flat rate unless its regional.