View Single Post
Old 03-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gang,
Couldn't wait to get in here to tell the story! The only change being the new water pump with bigger vanes ($24.00) and tweaking the divider plate and I can report fantastic success with George's suggestion!
Before I did this the after market gauge was reading as high as 230 degrees, and had been for years! After I did this, the highest it read was 190 degrees. It's 81 or 82 degrees here today. Running a high flow Stant thermostat tested at its rated 160-degree opening. I decided to test the temp of the water in the filler of the radiator with two of Mama's cooking thermometers (she's NOT here!), after I returned home, with the engine still running. By the way, the flow of water from the pump is so high that if you rev the engine a little, the water hits the cooking thermometers and jumps out the top of the radiator! One cooking thermometer showed 163 and the other showed 165!!!! Therefore, we calibrated the Temp gauge to read properly by adding a 10-ohm resistor in series with the sense lead. Now it is as dead on as those things can be!
I am so tickled; I'm like a kid at Christmas when he gets his first BB Gun! When I think back on all this, I guess I never thought to check the clearance of the divider plate to the pump vanes years ago when I replaced the original water pump!! Just ASSUMED it was the same configuration! There's that word again! Dad was right.Think, Son, Think!
To George I owe a great THANK YOU, you caused me to start using my head.
To the other guys that make money on radiators, I am sorry, but I won't be buying a $500 radiator.
Have a marvelous day guys, it is now SPRING!

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 08-18-2006 at 06:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post: