View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 04:36 PM

Default Ported v. Manifold Vacuum for distributor

I know this has been discussed before, but I am struggling to get my timing set. I thought I slipped the outer ring on my harmonic balancer, but that looks fine (thank you Jeff). Anyways, I am setting up my new EFI using the ported vacuum for the distributer and it just doesn't respond correct. It tells you to set the timing at 5 degrees with the vacuum disconnected. I am questioning why you would need to disconnect the ported vacuum because at idle it is effectively 0 inHg meaning it really has no impact on the advance. I checked the ported vacuum and sure enough it you rev it up, it defiantly actuates.

I looked in the shop manual, and it is silent on which vacuum source to use on non-AIR L6 cars. Interestingly, on V8 cars it says "The vacuum advance is connected directly to manifold vacuum so there is full vacuum advance at idle." So I am questioning, should I also connect to full manifold vacuum. I don't remember how much vacuum existed on my Quadrajet but I do recall the timing shifting a bit when it was disconnected. Any ideas?