View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 07:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I am waiting to see how you slip the top mechanism into the body tub.
Mine was a bugger to get in - the trim stick hung up ferociously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Please post multiple shots when you do - I probably did this task wrong.
My wife helped me put the top frame in today. It went right in just as I first thought it would.
We laid it on the floor on the side of the car and she held one end of the top while standing inside the frame. Then she stepped up into the car while I was holding the other side from outside the frame.
I had the lowest bolt stuck into the body on both sides and since the bottom of the top side brackets were slotted, it allowed the top to go right into place.

There wasn't much to it so there wasn't anything I could take multiple photos of like you asked me to do.

Update:
Not much else done since I finished the wheels. I do have the grilles ready for painting. I did a bit of sanding to remove the small places that were left after using the oven cleaner. I then put them in my blasting cabinet and blasted lightly to get them clean. There were a few very small cracks in the plastic and I ground them out a little and used JB Weld to fill followed by sanding flat the next day.

I blasted the front park/signal light housing and stripped the paint housing mounting frames. Lightly blasted those too and repaired a couple cracks as well.
I believe these are made of some kind of fiberglass. Painted them using rattle can chrome for the insides and cast coat for the outsides.
Also blasted and painted the retainers. The frames will get painted red later.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 05-13-2022 at 07:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: