View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Good catch Rachelsdad.

Aw, shucks... T'weren't nothin'... :-)

My '63 is going in for carpet and seats April 6. The carpet that's in there now I installed myself in '79. At 19, I wasn't as concerned with matching the factory nylon loop as I am today, so I put in cut pile (from JC Whitney - LOL). I remember, however, taking pains to get the heelpad straight and "about" where the original was set fore and aft. Like yours, mine ended up with the accelerator mounting studs only through the carpet and the lower rubber "tongue" form the pedal simply overlapping the front/top of the heelpad.

When I drop my car with the upholsterer next month, I'll try to make a point of asking him as to how they determine for different cars the relation between the accelerator and the heelpad. The shop I use has been in business for decades and quite well known in the industry (Auto Mat Company, in Hicksville, NY).

Now, all of that having been said (and don't laugh, anyone), I happen to have an original '63 Grand Prix with red interior (all original, including the carpet) sinking into my back yard (another project on the list). Unfortunately, she's down about a foot in a ditch, such that to get a door open, I'll literally have to get out with a shovel and dig a trench. However, I got that car when I did because the interior was in such good shape (as opposed to the body, which was and still is quite a mess). I won't be able to get to that anytime soon, but it's been on my mind to perhaps rent a tractor and pull her out of her spot. This is another reason to put this on this spring's outdoor to-do list.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE