View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post
David Freiberger did a episode on engine masters - pretty sure the clutch fan was okay, but the flex fans were...horrific - but don't quote me! Find the episode..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Only problem I see is that a shroud for the 5-blade 19" fan is going to be a little large when you drop down to the 18" fan. Think you can flip a coil on whether the 7-blade potential for moving more air will be offset with the poor fit in the shroud.

I had the H.O. fan with the proper shroud and it worked well supplying cooling for my added AC system except at very low speeds. I converted to the 19.5" 7-blade AC fan, proper shroud, and SD clutch and it will idle forever with the air on without the temp climbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
How's your water pump? Is it clearanced properly? Coolant flow affects all avenues of cooling; hi and low speeds.
Thanks for the replies, all!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the water pump is a FlowKooler Hi-Flow #1649 from Summit with the accompanying divider plate (see attachments). I replaced the stock pump back in March 2018 and I vaguely recall doing a cursory check for clearance while also ASSuming the newer divider plate from FlowKooler would have it clearanced properly?!

The engine has never overheated, but it does get to ~210-215 degrees in traffic on hot 90+ degree days with the 19" flex fan along with the original/stock fan shroud used on the 350ci (no A/C, so it had a 4-blade fan) which I replaced with the 400ci. My goal is to reduce the operating temp so that the engine is not so heat soaked after an hour+ drive to the track.

Thanks for the pointer, I will search for that Engine Masters episode!

I now have the 18" 7-blade fan and clutch from Ames (#P154GA, #P154G 1964-76). The catalog did not offer a 19" clutch fan, so I went with what was available. I just need to find time to install it. I will provide some empirical testing feedback once I get it installed. However, now that the weather is cooler, the real test will be next summer...

---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlowKooler Hi-Flow Mechanical Water Pumps 1649_1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	575283   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlowKooler Hi-Flow Mechanical Water Pumps 1649_2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	575284  

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi
* Best ET: 14.06 - Bandimere Speedway, CO. @ 5,800+'

Last edited by tremo; 10-15-2021 at 08:17 PM.