View Single Post
Old 12-28-2022, 06:51 PM

I doubt the lower steering shaft bearing or the intermediate shaft are responsible for the "loose" around center but once you go off center, things are about right" feeling. Bet it's just the inherent feel of the OEM Saginaw steering box. I had _exactly_ the same issue with the WS6 box in our '73 Fire Am. All brand new front end components and caster at +3.5, that was better but still not even close to the feel of our '92 Miata. Likely I never would have noticed the issue had I never driven the Miata to have a much higher bar to reach for with respect to on-centre steering response and feel. I've owned this Bird since 1975 and raced it for a decade in the 1980s. Unfortunately I cannot road test the Fire Am with the new Borgeson steering box due to the existing glacial condition of our 1/4 mile long driveway.
Now as to the price of the Wolff Engineering lower steering column bearing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone appreciates the beauty of a finely crafted musical instrument, an intricate Swiss watch or a very high quality firearm as a work of art. The Wolff bearing qualifies as such. Consider these two issues we faced:
#1) After many failed attempts to find a lower steering shaft bearing of acceptable quality and 3+ weeks of project delay I discovered the Wolff product
#2) The Wolff Engineering bearing is a work of art. The time and effort expended to engineering and construct a product with this level of attention to detail and craftsmanship is exceedingly rare today. The completeness of the kit, the supplied tools, materials and detailed documentation set a very high example for others manufacturers to follow. This bearing system completely eliminates all of the radial play on the shaft, 100%. The Wolff products is clearly from someone that very cknows and cares about quality at a level that is just no longer seen these days.
Back to the Borgeson steering box, Ames Performance rebuilt OEM shaft and the Wolff bearing, this is not a trivial or inexpensive upgrade, so why not "do it right, do it once" and use the best and highest quality parts available. Time is money when you are playing life in the 4th quarter.
Will post videos on the steering shaft woes and the Wolff Bearing on the Fire Am Registry youtube channel in the next few days,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXx...PS9uRZCU4nJViA
Photos below show the Wolff bearing Vs the OEM "bearing"
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Behold and decide for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM steering column bearing.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	604192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolff3.jpg
Views:	59