View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. I've been like that crazy guy from the movie with the news clippings all over the wall and the red lines going everywhere. I do try to record things so I actually have pics of the plugs from each of these occasions. Only problem is they have only been changed once. Makes it harder to make sense of changes. So I'm throwing in my last new set and I've ordered more.

Oh yeah. Daylight drive was disappointing. Seemed like it was all going to be good but got to my twisting uphill and sure enough on the last corner a nice big puff of blue smoke. And also, sure enough if I really layed into the throttle I could make some smoke too after. Mostly I want to say, though, it was better. Like I said, less smoking last night after the first run in the garage. Revving it I can't make as much smoke as before. So I tore the plugs straight out of it before work this morning.

My one plug that was by far the worst was #7. Hairy with black fouling and wet on the ring with what I'm going to assume is unburnt fuel. Probably why the idle was stinging my eyes. Other than that I didn't trust the look of #2 or #6. Both fairly black and a little wet. So I pulled just those three studs and cleaned the hell out of them and their matching holes. I even got my tap out and ran it through the threads on hole and bolt. I solvented it all and dried it all with paper towel as much as possible. I put it together with a bit more goop as well. On top of that, I'm going to leave it over 24 hours before I start it even.

#7 is the only one that really worries me. Looking back it's been consistently fouling. But then, it also seems to be the rocker stud hole that has the biggest breakthrough into the runner at the bottom so it probably gets the most suction. Looking back to before I even did the head work that spark plug was dry but sootier than the others. I'm ruling out that headbolt breakthrough I mentioned at the start because while I'm not sure where it was I know it was either #3 or #5 because it wasn't an end runner and it was the driver's side head.

Anyway, plan is to run it in a day or two with new plugs and see what's what. Hopefully it's better. If it isn't at least the plugs should tell me where the issue lies..

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod