View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok here goes. I worked with my father since I was 12 in small construction business. We did alot of roofs.(seemed only on 95 degree days). I've heard that Menards is a lower price co. Does that mean lower quality? I do not know. I deal with local suppliers that we've dealt with for 50yrs. I see different shingle mfgs coming up. I just put a 30 yr roof on my home. I'd would need to look at bundles for mfg in garage,I forget. We did use alot of Owen's Corning shingles. We hand nailed it. I'm 74. My father liked hand nailing.. I'd ck different shingle mfgs. I would look at smaller lumber yards. As far as metal I agree nothing is forever! Till they get your money then in 10yrs try to find help! Also check with your home owners insurance co. if you decide on metal. Other points. We used drip edge,then let shingles stick out past edge 3/4" approx. why? Water running down shingle edge can roll under hits drip edge then will tend to fall and not go underneath shingle. Flashing is the biggest problem because some do not want to take the time to install correctly it's not complicated just labor intensive.i do not claim to have all the answers. My experience has seen alot.My 2cts