View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I have a 64 GTO Convertible and a 64 hardtop race car.

Most of the race cars have the seat belts mounted near the seats, on the floor and to the roll cage, or in some similar.

That being said I wanted the across the chest belts to be properly mounted so, I went with later production Dodge Sebring
Convertible Seats with the chest belt built into the seat by the headrests. They work perfectly and are a lot safer vs the
stock 64 seat belts.

AND THE SEAT BACKS ARE RETAINED BY LOCKS AND DO NOT FLOP FORWARD WHEN YOU ARE MAKING A PANIC STOP.
Later 1966+ GTO seats had some sort of a lock but 64 seats did not.

So if a roof car you can figure out how to attach the upper belt so it copies the later factory seat belt mounting location.
But that still does not say it is as strong, in a stop, as a factory installation. But 4 seat belts are better than 2 seat belts.

Tom V.
That's some really good advice, thanks Tom and the convertible idea had not crossed my mind. I'm thinking attaching to the roof is likely not very do-able if I'm not ready to reinforce and weld. I still have the original paint job, and that will come last. I was thinking some racing style buckets that route the belts through holes in the seat. I love the factory buckets but they don't have headrests. I was thinking about installing some headrests but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. But I I did that maybe I could put some seat belt guides there as well and run 4 pt setup.
But they just put a new u-pull-it nearby so I'll check out the convertibles.