View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I lived in Erie, I had no problems with 3 homes there with conventional asphalt shingles.

Winds here in Ohio are very different, the subdivision I lived in last (roughly 50 homes), has had almost every roof on the homes replaced, or repaired in the 17 years I lived there. Metal roofs are quite common in my area, and that's because of the winds here lift shingles, then they tear off and leak. Or we also have a lot of hail here, and the metal usually doesn't dent in a moderate hail storms. Shingles just don't stand up in this particular environment. Insurance companies here will many times give a small discount for homes with metal roofs for fire resistance, and hail and wind resistance over asphalt.

I'm not of the same opinion that metal roofs with corrugated panels are for pole barns, There are plenty of homes here with corrugated metal roofs, both of mine are corrugated metal panels. In this area they've been putting metal roofs on homes for over 100 years, because asphalt does not last here. As I posted 3 homes with asphalt shingles, 2 homes with corrugated metal, for this area I'll take corrugated metal over shingles every time. One of the things that sold me on my current home is the red metal corrugated roof, I like them. As with automotive beauty, and many other things in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My current home and garages with red metal roof:

When I posted these pics last year on PY, when I purchased this property, no one commented, "Nice home, too bad it has a pole barn corrugated metal roof though."....

There are shingles under the metal that are in poor condition. Another plus is you don't have to tear off a roof to put another one on with metal, it's light enough that the weight doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the trusses. Tearing off a old roof is no cheap cost, at least in this area.

My feelings, a metal roof is an asset, not a liability. Real estate in this area pulls more money, and is easier to sell with a metal roof....YMMV.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated