View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Been a while. I hadn't had as many hours available to work on the car lately and it also took me an inordinate amount of time to get the side windows (and top frame weatherstrip) adjusted to my satisfaction. I also spent some time on the quarter window weatherstrip seals that fasten at the top of the quarters. They weren't bent right and weren't fitting well in the curved area near the door.
I started another thread to ask about these issues and you can see the details and photos there of how I dealt with that:
Need help with installing the convertible top weatherstrip on my '69

I am now extremely pleased how all the side glass fits and I think it's going to seal as well as a convertible possibly can. I have read that replacement side glass can fit differently than original glass. I can't really say though. I didn't have any strange issues getting it all to line up perfectly. It just took me a long time and I had to make little adjustments in the top frame weatherstrip by drilling new screw mounting holes. But the adjustment amount needed wasn't a lot. I have zero complaints with this glass. Got it from Auto City Classic. Sure looks great being all new and I like having it be tinted instead of the original clear. I took new photos of it all today:

I will be removing the stainless windshield post moldings for ding removal and polishing. I will also replace the weatherstrip clips that rivet onto the stainless channels.

A few things done since moving on from the side windows. The 4 brackets that help hold the rocker moldings on were pretty rusty but the metal wasn't compromised. I blasted them, soaked them in vinegar overnight to get the rust out from down in the pits and blasted them again. Then sprayed them with 3 coats of black epoxy primer.
Also got the stainless headlight bulb retainers cleaned and polished.

I epoxy primered the 2 plastic parking light mounting bezels and block sanded them to smooth out. Got them painted today and also painted the 2 new front marker light surrounds.

Next thing is getting the plastic front grilles painted. Haven't decided the best way to go about that yet but have decided I'm going to paint the egg crate parts black like they do with the Judge.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: