View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SD455 Carb question

About 20 years ago, I met a guy named Randy Williams who was collecting 62 - 63 SD421 stuff. I had a bunch of NOS SD421 parts from a guy who raced those cars, including heads, intakes, blocks, rods, etc. Randy Williams was well known in the Pontiac circles and said he was a supplier to Pontiac.

Anyway, we did some trading and I came away with a set of NOS SD455 heads, valves, valve springs, rods, an intake, and a 7043270 carb.

He claimed he got the parts through his contacts in Pontiac R&D. He said the 7043270 carb had been used by Pontiac engineering to do air flow testing on, and had never been on a car. I have no reason to doubt that, but I'd like some input on this carb. The date is relatively early (0133) based on the 73 SD455 cars only being produced late in the 1973 model year.

Anyway, I'd like the experts on the board to give me their thoughts. The only thing I found that looks a little odd is the gasket under the top plate. I believe the white stuff on the gasket is residue from old newspaper the carb was packed in when I boxed it up and stuck it away. It scrapes right off.

Also, does anybody know what that pink tag is on the back with 270 printed on it?

So, what do you think?