View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, you will note the asterisk ahead of the K45.

This means this "option" was standard content on the build, not extra cost.

K45 is coded on all Fremont GTOs produced from about March 15, 1964 on. It does not appear on the Manifest record of earlier Fremont builds.

The description AIR CLEAN/SIL I interpret to say Air Cleaner/Silencer. I am not aware of any change to the GTO Air Cleaner at mid year and the K45 is independent of the K24 option listing, the Cal Closed Circuit PCV option (which was extra cost).

The Inspector's Guide identifies K45 as the HD Air Cleaner option, Sales Code 431. Early year it was only available for the 326. In mid Nov. '63, Pontiac announced a HD Air Cleaner option for the 6 cyl.

I assume Fremont Tempests ordered with the HD Air Cleaner will show the same K45 AIR CLEAN/SIL but without the asterisk.

I do not know why Fremont began coding this on GTO manifests when they did, perhaps just a way to indicate the extent of content that was included with the GTO option.

Yes, 75014RSW means the Redlines were in your car when new. If the no cost Whitewalls had been included instead, it would have read 75014W2R and the option P30 WHT W TIRE OVR would have been listed, meaning "White Wall Tire Override". My own '64 got this option as did many other GTOs in '64, I do not know if that was by PMD choice or the Dealer Order choice.

Yes, the Fremont Manifest would show the Wide Ratio or Close Ratio.

Yours got the M20 TRANS SYN 4SP.

The M20 was the Wide Ratio, regardless of whether it was a code W backed by all ratios except 3.90 or a code 9 backed by the 3.90 axle.

The Close Ratio was identified as M21. I do not know the description that would have followed M21, on the Fremont Window Sticker it read, "M21 4 SPD SYNC TRANS 778" but not sure how it appeared on the Manifest.

Fremont always coded the Axle Type and Ratio by code in the Box labeled Axle Ratio.

For just about the entire year, it was coded letter first for the ratio such as K for 3.23, D for 3.08, and F for 3.55.

Followed by 0 for an open differential or 1 for a Safe-T-Track (locking) differential.

Very late year, Fremont changed the coding so that the code would show a 2 for open differential or 3 for Safe-T-Track, then the letter for the ratio followed. The same letter codes were still used to indicate the same numeric ratios.

If the Safe-T-Track was included the Manifest would also show, "G80 DIF POSITRACT". This was an extra cost option.

Your build was ordered with the Safe-T-Track. Shows the G80.

But the handwritten notes reflect Adds/Deletes. Probably because of a build error or shortage of axles, your GTO was built with an open differential rear.

The numeric codes show +691 indicates the standard differential and brakes (standard content), -703 indicates delete the Safe-T-Track (resulted in a credit given to the dealer), +702 means open differential was added to the build.

The line item for the G80 was also crossed off.

And the Axle Ratio Box which had shown the late style coding 3K to indicate a 3.23 axle with standard brakes and Safe-T-Track differential was replaced by the handwritten 2K which indicates a 3.23 axle with standard brakes and open differential.

Next to the 2K, the guy initialed his approval of the change as it affected the dealer price.

In '64, early Tripower GTOs got the 3.55 axle ratio as standard. In mid January, Pontiac announced that going forward the Tripower GTO would get the 3.23 as standard. To get a different available ratio, the dealer had to note the requested ratio on the order. Your car was not ordered with a special order axle ratio but unfortunately failed to get the Safe-T-Track that the order was supposed to include.

I would be curious to know if your Tripower also got the 2" core radiator. The 2-5/8" core had been standard on early Tripower GTOs but around March, it seems you had to order the HD Rad at extra cost or you would get the 2" core Rad. Your manifest does not show the HD Rad so I assume it got the 2" core.

Last edited by John V.; 08-14-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Ckarification of the M20 trans description