Thread: Vinyl Dye Paint
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Go to your auto body paint store. As usual you run your mouth with no proof what you say. If you like a Craig list Resto, spay your plastic on the ground in your driveway with the SEM scrap.
Correction to below post I WOULDNT SPRAY MATS OR SEATS.
run my mouth for asking a simple question for you to provide some info on what you say?? yeah ok guy. just like everything else you post like this... just the ambiguous "you know a guy" but never provide the info or tell people they have to google it, then get all mad or call people names & insult their project as back ally or craigslist restos with sem "scrap"... uncle leo! LOL!

by the way, out of curiosity i called 2 auto paint stores, 1 said they dont carry any product that is a real dye for plastic parts, just SEM or similar types of paint made for plastic/vinyl use. another one did say they have a product thats referred to as a dye but when i asked the rep if its a real dye he said no, it just has special resins that attach to the plastic/vinyl better than normal paints but it doesnt actually dye the part. he also mentioned what ive been told for years, that these interior parts are molded in color & cant be truly dyed like fabrics or carpet etc, & that if there is/was something like that it would just barely penetrate the surface & will still come off under heavy abrasion/wear.

so again, the definition of a dye vs specialty paint may be confusing. that'd be great if there was a real dye easily available for guys to use that actually changed the color of the part & doesnt scratch off on high wear areas, but so far there has been no mention of a specific product or brand, so people use & are more than happy with SEM "scrap", whatever scrap means.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: