View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

Odd, perhaps but still doesnt change the fact that '69 TAs didnt come with hood decals. Just tells me that Pontiac was sloppy with their assembly manual details!

Glenn: Yes, I would agree that the TA and judge were not clones from a development standpoint. And yes the Judge was in response to the Roadrunner. However those details are beside the point I was trying to make.

The brash 'new' Judges and TAs were right in step with all the other autmakers at that time. The 'outlandish and bold visual packages that began to be offered in 1969 were in large response attempts to get into sync with the young (car buying) culture at the time (pyschodelic 60s, colors, 'groovy' etc). To me its amazing how this snapped into place like an off/on switch within the automotive muscle car world in 1969. IN PMD-land take a look at the top of the line performance Fbody and Abody in 1968. Not much wild craziness going on graphically at that time. You had the (wildly powerful but often very subdued looking) RA II Firebird and GTO. No graphics no stripes no badges, no nothing externally! these were often outfitted for speed and zero else. Super stealth mobiles for sure. In fact many came with poverty dog dish caps, bland colors and bench seats to boot. Saving weight and $ were the goals. Now hyperspace a mere 6-9 months into 1969 and viola we have the bespoilered 69 bright orange judge and the white and blue striped TA! 1968 might as well have been 1868! The new PMD theme for their flagship muscle (Judge) and pony (TA) cars in 1969 was be 'wild bold and crazy'.

The differing development team make up for the Judge and the TA are really beside the point I was trying to make...

I think PMD wanted much more 'visible and graphically oriented' flagship cars for the changing public dynamic in 1969. The TA and Judge were those cars and IMO its no coincidence they BOTH were developed during the same time period and ultimatly were showcased to the public on the same day at the same location.

Last edited by ramair2; 10-26-2006 at 12:00 PM.