Thread: Locksmith code
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Code was stamped on my door lock cylinders for my '64 and it matched the code on the Fremont PHS. Almost positive the key codes are on the '65 Billing History Cards although I'm sure they aren't always legible.

I had an interesting experience with mine.

Had an excellent local locksmith (with decades of experience) in Jacksonville that worked with me.

My ignition switch was not original so I took it to him to get it rekeyed according to the code on my PHS.

There is also info in the Shop Manual so that I was able to "decode" the original keying according to my original door key.

I gave the ignition switch and that info to the locksmith.

But that is when things got goofy.

He looked up my code in his book and saw that the keying for that code was NOTHING like the code I decoded from the actual key.

That's when I took a look at the door lock thinking maybe it had been changed. But turned out it is stamped with the same code shown on the PHS docs.

When I finally figured it out, we were able to discover the actual numeric key code from the cuts on the key and the info in the Shop Manual.

It is possible that the door lock keying was changed sometime in the 25 years prior to me acquiring the GTO while retaining the original stamp coded cylinder.

But in my opinion, the more likely possibility was that when Briggs & Stratton produced my lock set, it was mistakenly coded with the code stamped on the lock. That number was then regurgitated on the Shipping Manifest which was standard procedure. But it was actually keyed to a different numeric code. I don't know the manufacturing process so I don't know how that mistake could have been made but I am convinced that is the most likely scenario.

The lock set was incorrectly coded but the keys matched to the locks so nobody had reason to suspect the lock was miscoded until 40 years later when I went to get my non-original ignition switch keyed to match the door lock.

I could have redone the door locks to match the numeric code stamped on them and matched the ignition switch accordingly. In the end, I chose to keep the keying that I believed to be original (in part because I think the keys are original) and made note of the correct code that matches that keying for my own records even while the door locks are stamped, and the PHS shows, a different code.

It cost me about $25 to get the ignition switch keyed to match the door lock including new keys.

If I ever need another key cut to the code, I just have to remember that the keying doesn't match to the PHS or stamping.

I assume such errors would have been rare so if you do see the key codes on your PHS, most likely your locksmith will be able to cut new keys accordingly.

The code books are readily available and I think I even found them on-line. And cutting the keys is easy vs. rekeying the locks themselves although even that isn't rocket science.

Sounds like you've found a good source so shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully they will be reasonable on price. If you're lucky he'll even have some original looking B & S key blanks.