View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that would be great if it worked as advertised, but everything i have heard/read says vinyl & plastic cant be truly dyed with consumer type products & when calling most auto paint suppliers they dont carry any real dyes for plastic/vinyl.

have you tried that VHT product? i haven't & have not seen much about it being used on these classic cars, its almost always SEM. VHT also sells high temp paint they claim will last on headers, yet when i tried it on a set of pontiac headers it flaked or burnt off in a few months... same results for friends that have used it on chevy & ford headers. products dont always work as advertised.

you'd think if it worked good & could actually dye vinyl/plastic with good looking & lasting results it would be what everyone uses... but most everyone including many pros use the SEM rattle can stuff or have a custom color mixed up. would be interesting to see how the VHT works on 40 year old vinyl & plastic to actually change the color.

& according to the VHT info in that link, it says it can dye plastic & leather too but strangely doesnt work on cloth? also under paint type it says "single stage top coat" ?

my comments were mainly regarding calling the SEM paint a dye & that there will be mixed results trying to actually dye plastic or vinyl.

Last edited by 78w72; 06-04-2022 at 12:53 PM.