View Single Post
Old 06-05-2022, 06:56 AM

All I do remember is doing a color change on the interior of a car back in the mid 90s. It was red and I wanted black. I had to use 2 different products IIRC. The ABS plastic had to be soaked in soapy water overnight and prepped really well to get rid of stuff like Armour All and other oils.

The softer vinyl items in the car, when done, looked fantastic. There was no scratching off the color. Maybe if you really dug into it with a sharp object. I never went that far to see the amount of penetration, if any. The ABS stuff was a total pain. Had to use adhesion promoter first. Follow exact stages. It was still fairly easy to scratch off. Nature of ABS. As you stated before, it's molded in that color.

Perhaps what I used back then wasn't actually a dye. That's been a few days ago. I do remember two different products and two different outcomes. I certainly don't possess the knowledge to debate "does it or doesn't it". I only know my personal experience and that is that the vinyl looked amazing and the ABS was less than stellar. Whether it was a paint or a dye, the vinyl stayed looking like the day I sprayed it for the 5 years I had the car. The plastic parts not so much.

Two marriages and one long term relationship later and it's the T/A that's always still there.

When referencing gas, "regular" used to have an entirely different meaning.