View Single Post
Old 07-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
Ok, the Efe valve is under control, but I might have incorrectly described the difference between an automatic v 4 speed units. The 4 speed unit does in fact have the vacuum pod behind the exhaust outlet. Sorry for the confusion on my part. We have a correct unit.

The saga of getting the engine closer to being done and ready to install was going pretty well until I dug the tranny out of storage. You know, one step forward and five giant steps back. The original tranny was gone, period. It wasn't hiding in the barn, stuck in some corner forgotten, but gone. I could deal with that because I had the original engine and was able to get the original, born with, rear end back under the car. About a year and a half ago, I went on the search for a correctly date coded BW, Super T10 unit. The search was crazy, and most folks I talked to thought I was even crazier to be searching. Very long story short, I was about two hours too late on a lead on a tranny in the south. Unit was from a one-owner, 45k mile car that had sat outside for too long for the car to be saved. Date code was December, 1978, BINGO, perfect. I nearly died when he told me he had just sold it. He sold it to a man who was going to surprise his son with a complete 4 speed set up for his '73 Formula for his birthday! Quickly, my wheels started turning and I asked the question, could I have his phone number. I called, he answered and I pleaded my case. He could care less about numbers and date codes. I said, if I find you a replacement unit, will you trade me yours for mine? He agreed! Lots of details later, he got a newly rebuilt unit and I got a perfectly date coded tranny for my car. Well, you can guess where this goes, huh? Joe Hand is ready to mate the tranny to the engine and I take the unit over to his house. He emails me a few days later, Jim, this doesn't look good. Said 45K mile unit is a NASTY mess inside, which necessitated a full rebuild ($$$). The clutch and pressure plate that were included in the complete set up were bad as well, of course. While the rebuild is not done and the dollars are continuing to flow out the door, question is, was it a bad choice on my part? Most would say yes, and I understand and would have to agree with them, but, I would do it all over again for the correct unit for this particular restoration. Joe Hand is a saint and I am grateful for his passion and efforts!

Here are a few pictures!
Your choice to find a correct T-10 was on the mark, good effort. Your belief that a used T-10 would not need a rebuild is where you fell down - they ALL need something inside. Keep going - you're almost there - don't look backwards.