View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, upon initial assembly on the line they were drawn tight with a calibrated impact wrench. They don't calibrate those wrenches after each use, so they do change. The aforementioned bolts aren't considered critical fasteners, and as long as they didn't work loose during their life cycle they were tight enough. The factory assembles most all these parts with automated machines, they aren't assembled by hand one by one. After 50 years wrenching for a living, I have never laid a torque wrench on any of the aforementioned bolts, same as the factory that originally built the cars, and engines never laid a torque wrench on them when new, I've never had one fall out, or break.

If your concern is loosening up then Loctite it, most all of the bolts have split lock washers on them anyway. if your worried about over tightening them then there are tables on the net that will give you torque values for bolts based on length, thread pitch and bolt materials tell you if the torque values are lubricated, or dry.

I realize there are printed torque values for most every part on a car, but in the grand scheme of things these bolts were never torqued with a wrench when assembled, and if taken apart in the field, don't get torqued upon re-assembly.

Your search gives different values in printed form, so which do you believe? As long as you're not stretching the bolt too far, and it doesn't loosen up, you're going to be fine.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated