View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pt 12 - More Downs

Now, back to the napa pistons. The Bird started slowing down and smokin a little. It would still beat most of em but definitely up to par. So I pulled it out and put the Goat motor in it. I could have left the cam in it, but there was a little difference and I didn't know if they would ever tear it down to check it or not. So I swapped cams and now it was perfectly legal. Looking back on it now I really don't think they would have torn into it at our track. That stuff only took place at point meets and nat. events. That reminds me of another shocker in my continuing education: We had never taken a car to a points meet so I had no idea what to expect. We didn't even get to unload. One of the tech guys saw us and realized immediately that we didn't have a clue what was going on! He walked around the cars, opened the doors and looked in, then he turned to us and started naming all the obvious reasons why we could not pass tech: A piece of chrome trim missing, radio hole not covered with metal, clutch fan of Bird (that motor came with factory flex fan like Goat). He said "Fix all this and we'll look at it a little closer." All the air left our balloon. Thank God, bracket racing was coming to tracks near us soon! Our stocker days were about over. The thrill was gone.