View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pt. 16 - Still Trying

WEll, just from that first outing I had gained a lot of respect for the monster. So I did some more reasoning. This thang might eat that 10-bolt rear end. I knew the BB Chevelles had 12-bolts and they were plentiful at that time so I got one. It was a 1-wheeler so I got a mini-spool for it. That should take care of the rear end. What about tires? I found a set of either 10- or 11". Now, what about the tranny? I'd heard about this new co. called TCI. I looked at their catalog and found a full comp TH400 with a reverse pattern valve body. It was high, but I figured that it would solve the tranny problem so I ordered it. OK, we're back at the track and I'm feeling purty good about the setup now. Maybe this time I have tamed the monster. - WRONG! The slicks did a little better than the 9" but still had lots of spin. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about the tranny anymore - right? WRONG! Wind to 5 in 1st, shift to 2nd...NOTHING! This can't be happening - that moster just ate my hi-$ full comp TCI tranny! Then I finally had an intelligent thought. OK, there are cars with more power than mine that are NOT breaking. So why don't I find out what they're using. I found out that a local guy was building their tranny's, so I went to see him. He said TCI probably put a stock int. sprag in it, I needed one made for a 500 Cadillac motor. Well, that solved the tranny problem forevermore. Thank God!