View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
So you have confirmed that the leak is between the new seal and the cast iron case?

How tight did the seal tap in? Could it be a bad reference number and therefore the wrong seal?
Yes it seems so, here is a pic. When I replaced the seal the first time in went in very tight. I don't have the part number handy but I got it directly from the factory 76-81 parts and illustration catalog.

I didn't want to take the flange off to check anything until I contacted the shop that assembled it. They told me to bring it back and they will find out what's going on. I just dropped it off now.

When I disassembled the diff last week before taking it to them, I did notice some marks on the inside of the pinion seal area on the driver side of the cast iron case hole, where it looked as if someone had jammed a screwdriver in to pry out the seal. I guess you could call it gouge marks but they were kinda slight and I didn't think they'd be an issue and the source of the original bad leak.

That area on the driver side of the hole is wet as pic shows and appears to be the source as it is the only wet area on the outside circumference of the seal where it meets the case.........besides the bottom area where the leak ran down.

I forgot to mention it to the shop when I first brought it to them initially. I did show them this pic and told them about it today. They said they'd pop the seal out and look at that area.

I hope that's the issue and it can be smoothed with some crocus cloth and some RTV on the outside of the seal before driving it in will fix it.

I'll update when they get back to me.

It's a bad leak for sure and I wouldn't think those marks would cause it to leak so bad but I hope I'm wrong. They are as puzzled as I am what's causing the leak as all OEM original parts were used and the area of the pinion flange where the seal rides was in good shape with no wear groove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	591094