Thread: Cooking knives
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Our Henckels are over 30years old, I bought them one or two at a time for her as additional anniversary or Christmas gifts in our early years of marriage, Not very romantic but as a second gift, she didn’t mind, We have 3 pairing knives, 2 sizes of Chefs knives ,2sizes of utility knives and many of the rest of a set. The handles on some of them are looking rather beat up now, but the blades are still great.

I bought an easy to use pull through sharpener that Henkel sells so she could keep them sharp, but she forgets. So about once every 2-3 months I sharpen the ones that get a lot of use. and the rest as needed. The serrated edge bread knife and tomato knife are a pain to sharpen, I use a round steel on them (each tooth separately) about once every couple of years.

There is another German brand that are likely just as good and a little cheaper, The best Japanese ones are worth a look too. The big department stores here would have 25% off sales at Christmas and buying sets of two or three can save some money as well.