View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, all these replies and it's really not that hard to make a stock system work and work effectively without the need for added on doodads.

I've raced my Formula for 25 years, and daily drive it, with the stock Q-jet and stock fuel system in place. Have gone as quick as 12.76 at 106 with a stock 400 RAIII....PS legal. Just 91 octane pump gas at any chain store, no hint of fuel starvation, no hot start issues, no vapor lock, and it gets pretty darn hot here in Arizona. Really all the fuel system needs is a well thought out stock setup and a tank that is vented properly.
I have some tricks in the carb with a larger needle/seat, a marine style filter in the carb which is basically a screen, and the brass fitting opened up as far as I can without affecting the flare nut seal, all in an attempt to keep the carb fed.
Stock AC Delco large body fuel pump with factory return line. My 70 Formula is California built so it has the Charcoal cannister system. I vent the tank as intended through this system, all hooked up and functioning.
The steel lines I run glass bead through them at high pressure as an attempt to extrude hone the lines, a trick I learned from the PS racers to possibly increase flow but it does in fact increase capacity, I've CC'd a couple lines after the process. Again all in an attempt to keep the engine fed with fuel.
I've never bothered to block the heat cross over because I do daily drive the car and prefer the divorce choke to work.

It's really just simple tricks like that, doesn't take anything really special. It does have it's limitations however. I've gone as quick as low 12's at 108 mph in another car with similar fuel system setup before I kind of hit a wall with it, and that car weighs 4100 lbs so the stock fuel system could possibly go 11's in a lighter car.

None of that really matters though as the OP is going EFI anyway. As long as you put together a solid fuel system to support it with a pump in the tank you'll enjoy that EFI.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: