View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I honestly don't know if they are ever tested on an engine or not. I didn't even know Fi Tech did that.

They do come with several base tunes to choose from and they have quite a few changes in the fuel tables between them.

I tried a couple different ones on both my 454 BBC and dads 571 Pontiac and really didn't notice much difference in how they started and ran. They both still needed quite a bit of base fuel table tuning.

Start ups got better once the IAC was dialed in though, just as you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
One thing I noticed on the base tunes, Holley programs all of them (from what I remember) for a 13.5 target idle AFR.

What's interesting is that the 02 sensor readings of the Sniper don't match the 02 sensor readings I already monitored in both cars.

Both snipers read about .5 to .7 AFR points higher than both Innovative wide bands I have in both cars.

So basically the target idle AFR Holley programmed in was way too rich for both cars. That caused some mild idle issues and loading up at really low rpm as my wide bands were both showing the AFR was actually 12.5 to 12.8 and they didn't like idling in gear like that.

I found once warmed up, I would adjust the base table in the idle area for best vacuum (map reading) and made that my target idle AFR. Which coincidently ends up being 14.2 AFR target. My extra innovative widebands show that to actually be right around 13.5-13.6 AFR and that's where the engines are the happiest with a nice strong idle in or out of gear, which is where I had the carbs dialed in before the EFI swap...imagine that, lol.

Once that part is dialed in the cold starts get much better.
Yes at least for a good while, every FiTech unit that was sent out was run on an engine before it was either shipped direct to the customer or to the various retailers. Both my GoEFI 4 and my Wife's GoStreet had a mild fuel smell to them, indicating they'd been run.

It sounds like the Sniper's initial calibration is different than how the FiTech handles initial setup. With the FiTech, you choose a cam profile from 1-4 (mild to wild), provide your engine's displacement and number of cylinders, then provide it your ignition information if it's a model that can control timing. The software creates the base map base on that information.

Like the Holley, the FiTech also likes to command 13.6 afr at idle on it's base tune.