View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is nice to see how simulations can be very close to real world results.

I should have said that Lee ran simulations of about 4-5 stock cams from various manufacturers and several different sets of lobes from Bullet/Ultradyne's master lists, in maybe 8-10 various combinations , for about 15 different cams to compare.

I eliminated a lot of them based on the rpm range they operated best in, or actually let Lee do it, and he gave me maybe the top 8 or so.

I narrowed those down to maybe 5-6 by max peak torque average torque, broad torque curve compared to rpm and by looking at overlap based on some reading about overlap and octane/detonation tendencies as I wanted to be able to use 86 octane safely. Lee went through those with the adjustments to lift, duration, adv, LSA to maximize those, Of course, he couldn't adjust the off the shelf cams, with those you are stuck with the parameters they set other than rocker ratio

My final two choices came down to the H5/H15 combo vs H15/H8, and I think the peak with the H5/H15 peaked a little lower in the rpm range, with slightly higher peak just off idle, and higher vacuum. I had also looked at overlap and went through some math after reading how overlap affects octane requirements and detonation resistance. Some of the off the shelf cams were more likely to detonate based on that.

Some of Cliff's least favorites ended up on the discard pile, but it is all subjective to what you want to accomplish. With just a different gear ratio, you can change the cruise rpm by a lot, same with overdrive

The Following User Says Thank You to dmac For This Useful Post: