View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 07:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Just messed with the PM136 on the bench. Hooked it up to a variable power supply. Not sure how it works when encased in the blower housing ... but jeez, on the bench I can't imagine it being much more powerful without being scary

Ran it at 12v, was drawing about 5.5 amps, so about 66 watts. Running at that rate it could probably use a tad of balancing. Might pull the fan off and see how hard it is to balance.
Sounds like a good indicator so far. Can you easily swap it in your housing and do back-to-back tests comparing it to the original motor?
Also, if you are able to run it at 14 volts, it would simulate better how it will perform while the engine is running. I think you would notice the difference in the air movement.

Seems like trial and error would be the only method to try and balance the fan. Maybe a small U-nut would work if you can make it fit tightly.
Also seems like you might be able to hold the motor in a vise and check with a dial indicator to see if the fan has any runout to it when turning it by hand.

Anyway, thanks for your reporting on this. It helps me out since I intend to make a decision on this soon.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO