Thread: Buffalo,snow !
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
This is always so surreal, seeing that Buffalo is just down the road from us. But we usually get nothing, as was the case this time. But we know that the great people of Buffalo have the determination to survive and thrive in the face of this kind of adversity. It seems to make the place stronger every time.
It all has to do with which way the wind blows. If the wind blows towards the east, it has the whole length of the lake to soak up moisture. If it comes from the north to south it has less than 20 miles to pickup moisture. Either way which ever way the wind blows, it dumps all the moisture as soon as it reaches land, hence, lake effect. If the wind went over Lake Erie from south to north, it would likely be too warm to snow, however the prevailing winds seldom blow from the south. Most likely it would be rain up into Canada, and you don't shovel rain.......

Buffalo usually gets the headlines, but Rochester can be just as bad, if not worse, again depends on wind direction, and velocity. One of the worst snow storms I was ever caught in was not in my hometown of Erie. I happened to be in Rochester NY. 38 inches of snow in about 8 hours, I was stuck behind a jack knifed Yellow Freight semi across 2 lanes eastbound expressway. After 8 hours of blizzard, the storm stopped, sun came out, and they righted the semi, ran a plow down the left lane, and I was back on the road again. Thank God I filled the gas tank the night before on the truck I was driving. I ended up with a passenger that slid his car into the median, just as traffic was stopping for the semi.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated