View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 11:42 AM

Default Keys Cut To Code

After searching for 3 years I finally found a tailgate lock for my 62 Tempest wagon. As I expected, it did not come with a key. I already knew that a good locksmith with Curtis code books could punch out a new key using the 4 digit code stamped in door, trunk and liftgate lock cases.

I decided to look on Ebay for a key blank before searching for a local locksmith that could cut it to code. I stumbled across an Ebay seller who will supply a repop GM key and cut it to code for $9.99 + shipping.(I just realized seller now has shipping included in price). You just need to find his listing that covers the code range for your key and select it from a drop down list. Seller has listings for primary and secondary keys.

I had my new key 3 days after ordering. The seller guaranties keys will work as long as you give him the correct code.

I put the new key in the lock and it did not work! I sprayed WD-40 into the lock and blew air into it to blow out any excess. I put the key back into it and wiggled it around for a couple seconds and it opened. The lock was stuck from sitting out in the elements for decades and not being used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20347695278...3ABFBM8s-eueRh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	609825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00824.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	609826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00906.jpg