View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default I love my 69 Firebird, but sometimes getting parts is a real PITA!

Ok yeah, I love the 69 Firebird, one year only, figured it would have some unique parts...but some just kill me...such as...

Glove Lock Box Escutcheon (Bezel to hold in lock cylinder)...one year only. Got two different ones, neither fit, had to cut threads in the original lock cylinder to make it fit the new replacements. WTF.

Speedometer cable for TH400 with aftermarket (Classic Ind) TA Rally Gauge Dash. It's the standard cable, not the screw in. The problem is there are about six different ones, all different lengths. I had one made at Speedo Check in Whittier at 69" long, just guessing what it should be since 61" was the standard. Got it installed it, no problem. If I'd checked Ames Perf site first I really would have been lost, they have them from 61" to 73".

Engine Oil dipstick and tube. I've got the wrong one. Check the parts sites.

Sheesh, factory AC is a problem. They aren't available, they have two different tubes, with or without windage tray in oil pan, and apparently an early 69 and a late 69.

TH400 Tranny tube and dipstick, early and late 69 versions. Aftermarket Lokar is crap, generic don't fit right (so I'm told). Going to A1 Transmission in Buena Park, CA this morning. Ken Brown says he has both.

The car is coming together, slowly, but sheesh...Pontiac had a lot of minor variations in stuff.

Maybe that's why I love them....until I need parts. LOL

JIm S