View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
From what I see out there in the industry, it seems the hardness of the metal is not the issue. The issue seems to be that some cam lobes are ground with no taper, so the lifter on those lobes will not rotate, and take out the lifter and cam. Also, the lifters seem to be hard enough, but many are not crowned so they don't rotate, and many have oversized plunger bores, but only standard plungers are made, so they bleed down. Both conditions are very easy to check before installation. And I would measure each cam lobe to verify taper before install, too. An extra 30 minutes to basically have a worry-free flat tappet install. I for one would never consider running an aftermarket roller cam in any of my old engines. I value them too much and have seen too many catastrophic failures of roller set-ups. Does anybody out here have a roller Pontiac engine with over 70,000 miles on it?
I was just about to say the same thing. I wonder if Nyairguard can lay a flat edge across the lobe and see if there is a taper or not?