View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I just bought the turquoise and white 65 Bonneville four door with factory tripower and 8 lug wheels. It is in very good original condition with only 29800 miles showing, believed to be correct.

I was checking the carbs out last night and found that the front and rear have accelerator pump function but the center does not seem to be working. Also noticed that the secondaries seem to be opened by a vac device.

Looking for advice....I am comfortable taking off the top of the carb and cleaning it and rebuilding the pump....unless there is some good reason not to dig into it.

Also what about that vac actuator for the two extra carbs. Is that a good thing to keep or is it advisable to convert to manual linkages?

Also starter has gone on strike. with a good charge it will not even click when I turn the key to start, though the lights and horn work fine. Any likely hood that the ignition switch has checked out?
It's most likely that the starter is the problem, not the switch. If you have a good auto electric repair guy around, I'd take the starter off and have him rebuild the starter. Your car is noted for hard starts when the engine is hot. Be sure to buy a very high CCA battery, also.

As for the vacuum linkage on the Tripower---If you intend to keep the car completely stock, stay with the vacuum setup. To make it more drivable, however, I'd change it over to mechanical linkage. The factory-style linkage works fine with your TH400, except for limited clearance for the kickdown switch.

I've attached a picture of a '65 setup restored with mechanical linkage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich Toll's Tripower 240.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	424742  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan