View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
Okay I spoke with the tech from Johnston lifters and he was nice to share some information with me/us.

They used to use a foundry in Chicago up to about 10 years ago. Then quality could not be maintained so they went out of the FT making business as nothing they could find in the USA was up to snuff quality wise. He indicated that the two main problems are:

1) During casting, on a casting tree, the face must cool first before the lifter. Adds costs and steps to the process.

2) Asicular carbides must be present at least 200 thou deep.

3) Lifter makers are only concerned with hardness which is a major problem when both the first two points above are not achieved.

With even HLJ lifters failing we may have lost the technology for good now actually. Anyone want to call HLJ and ask how they cool their lifter face and is their acicular cabides at least 200 thou deep?

Starting to wonder if made in the USA does not mean much anymore...
Did the Johnson rep say they made flat tappets lifters for anyone? I am still pretty positive they made Isky’s flat tappet lifters up till a few years ago. Since they are in partnership of some of the higher end HR lifter’s Isky offers I am curious if they still provide Isky’s HFT lifters for Isky only. I guess I could call them and ask them myself.

Eaton lifters often claim USA made. Paul Spott’s sell’s Eaton lifters. Not sure what is done to get that claim. Big conglomerate’s kind of play shell games with USA made.

Last edited by Jay S; 09-28-2022 at 04:13 PM.