View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
ECOBOOST is a generic term for a Ford engine with a Turbocharged Engine under the hood. Ford has done 3.5L engines, 2.7L engines, 2.3L (4 cylinder) engines for many years now. I drive a 2019 Ecoboost F-150 Truck with the 10 speed trans.

Did a basic search on the timing chain issues and some have 100K on their engines with no issues reported. Some other F-150 Forum guys have swapped FEAD parts on their engines as well as "played with things" and they have had timing chain issues on the 2011 to early 2014 engines.

Like I said I drive an April built 2019 truck. My early 2016 Ecoboost F-150 ran great. One of the best trucks I ever owned. Not one issue with the truck.

Not saying that the Camshafts are not applying a massive load on the chains.
The Fuel Pump driven by the timing Chains/Camshaft applies a load on the timing chains.
And a lot of the engines repaired were high mileage engines.

Seems to me that I was replacing a LOT of TIMING CHAINS and Nylon Upper Timing Gears and a metal lower gear on Firebirds, Tempests, Lemans, and GTOs, and Big Cars because they had engineering problems with Timing Chains and gears in the late 60s and early 70s.

So the Pontiac Boys better read up on their history before they throw rocks about suspect engineering. The EFI pump, especially when played with by a tuner, exerts a massive load on the timing chains and gears of the Ecoboost engines.

Tom V.
I suspect that I will have to deal with the very long timing chain on my Tundra at some point. Going to have to pull off the front of the engine and maybe the truck when that day comes.
Hope there are a few good U Tube videos about it along with a good manual on the subject.
You are exactly right on the PMD/nylon timing gear issues. One of my first memories about my father working on our Pontiacs was doing a valve job on our 66 Catalina. Had to be around 1970-71. I was hanging out in the garage asking questions being a annoying kid and when he was done went out on the test drive. He floored it and it ran great until the nylon gear let loose. He was depressed. But, took it apart and replaced it with a all metal one and it ran great. Early lesson, must have been 5-6 years old.