View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
ECOBOOST is a generic term for a Ford engine with a Turbocharged Engine under the hood. Ford has done 3.5L engines, 2.7L engines, 2.3L (4 cylinder) engines for many years now. I drive a 2019 Ecoboost F-150 Truck with the 10 speed trans.

Did a basic search on the timing chain issues and some have 100K on their engines with no issues reported. Some other F-150 Forum guys have swapped FEAD parts on their engines as well as "played with things" and they have had timing chain issues on the 2011 to early 2014 engines.

Like I said I drive an April built 2019 truck. My early 2016 Ecoboost F-150 ran great. One of the best trucks I ever owned. Not one issue with the truck.

Not saying that the Camshafts are not applying a massive load on the chains.
The Fuel Pump driven by the timing Chains/Camshaft applies a load on the timing chains.
And a lot of the engines repaired were high mileage engines.

Seems to me that I was replacing a LOT of TIMING CHAINS and Nylon Upper Timing Gears and a metal lower gear on Firebirds, Tempests, Lemans, and GTOs, and Big Cars because they had engineering problems with Timing Chains and gears in the late 60s and early 70s.

So the Pontiac Boys better read up on their history before they throw rocks about suspect engineering. The EFI pump, especially when played with by a tuner, exerts a massive load on the timing chains and gears of the Ecoboost engines.

Tom V.
Not a big Ford fan, personally, which is why I am on a Pontiac site. However, I work on those 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost engines in Transit 350 vans all the time. They are damn tough engines IMO, lots of power, great economy, low oil consumption, and very trouble free. Better than an LS? I would just say different. I work on lots of 6.0L LS engines as well. Many with over 300K miles on them, leaking oil out of every pore, but running fine. I will say the packaging of the ecoboost engines in the Transit vans is absolutely horrible. Replaced a radiator in one last week. almost an 8 hour job. Ridiculous how that module is wedged in there.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: