View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Can you guys offer me some good reasons to use epoxy primer over a stripped, bare metal body compared to conventional (2k?) or 1k primer?
I'll reiterate what someone else said here.
There just plain isn't a reason not to use it over bare metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'm assuming conventional primer is still used by the majority of painters?
Urethane 2K primers are used by the majority of painters. But I'd say the majority use epoxy primer on bare metal when the car has been stripped. High end body shops that is. Body shops that only do collision work might be different.

I've been using SPI epoxy primer for over 15 years now. My rule is "epoxy first on everything". I always use the SPI reduced as a sealer right before the first color coat too.

SPI epoxy does block well but I prefer to do most of my blocking with polyester and urethane 2K primers. Polyester where I've done bodywork only and then all over with the urethane.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO