View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Why consider a regulator? These cars were built with mechanical fuel pumps that delivered 6 psi or less. 95%+ of issues I read about are about aftermarket fuel pumps, ignition systems, and electric cooling fans. Many have forgotten that these cars ran reliably as built. Ames is the only all-Pontiac vendor. Why not buy parts from them, and, if necessary, ask their knowledgable tech personnel for advice?
I completely agree, they worked (with some known issues) back in the day.

When I had just got my Tripower up and running ok, but hadn't driven it much, I noticed when sitting it was taking a long time to get fuel back up to carbs. Also had some rust deposits coming form fuel tank...

Replaced fuel tank cleaned lines. I bought a fuel pump from Ames to replace the AC Delco unit I put on in the early 90's. Was no longer loosing prime to carbs when it sat but noticed on my Air fuel ratio meter at idle my AFR would intermittently dip way rich like 11 then come back to 14 or so it seemed to like to idle at ....front carb was over flowing bowl. tore down the carb needle seat float etc, still happening...

put the fuel pressure regulator on and it stopped happening.

Conversely it had an intermittent over heating issue, would be fine at 195-200 ish then shoot up, typically after a good long run at speed.... All the advice I got on the GTO forum was need a cold case radiator, flowkooler pump, electric fans etc. All I needed was a new fan clutch. when engine was hot and clutch needed to engage when I slowed down or stopped there wasn't enough airflow...