View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 PM

Hi Joe's Garage,

Another member here, Harvey ssj71, suggested I try https://www.springsnthings.com/ . I contacted them, and was told they no longer carry 5385, but CC501 is listed also listed as a replacement for my GP. I had the specs I posted above where the 5385 compressed is taller than the CC501. Hmmm.

Thank you for the advice to look for more MOOG specs. I didn't know where
to start to find an old catalog, but I found MOOG's website is quite nice. Many sellers only showed the spring rate of the CC501 variable rate spring. It had a spring rate listed - 175 lbs/in. I assume that 175 rate applies to the first inch of compression on a variable rate design. MOOG's website stated the spring rate for the 5385's is 168 lbs/in. But there is still that compressed height difference. What gives?

The MOOG site also stated "load." Apparently, MOOG bases the 5385 9" compressed height on a load of 602 lbs. They base the CC501 compressed height of 8" on 810 lbs. If you use the same load on both springs, based on spring rate, there is approximately a 1/4" difference with the CC501 being a tad taller. So, I ordered the CC501s with confidence I'd be pleased with them!

Springsnthings shipped them the same day I ordered, and RockAuto did the same with my new shocks. I had all the parts before the weekend, and I spent Saturday afternoon installing them.

Before I started the work, I was thinking "maybe it's not sagging as bad I kept picturing in my mind?" My pictures are so-so, but the top of the wheel well molding was at 24.75" with the old springs, and it's now 26.25:" with the new. The 1.5" lift is just right!

I have a before and after pair close up and one after shot from a distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	570580   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	570581   Click image for larger version

Name:	side-full.jpg
Views:	165